Race For Water wins the KRYS OCEAN RACE prologue
Wednesday, 04 July 2012
Steve Ravussin and crew of the MOD70 Race for Water won the 'race to New York’, KRYS OCEAN RACE prologue from Newport to New York when they passed Groupe Edmond de Rothschild in the final half mile to the finish line.
In very light winds, Ravussin and his team looked to have slowed badly on the Coney Island shore, snared in a big calm zone. But when they extracted themselves they were able to sail a more direct course, accelerating past the race leader to steal a morale boosting first gun, just ahead of Seb Josse's team which lead out of Newport last night.
Race For Water completed the course in 12 hours, 53 minutes and 20 seconds, just 2 minutes and 30 seconds ahead of Groupe Edmond de Rothschild. Spindrift racing skippered by Yann Guichard closed in on 3rd with FONCIA right behind. Musandam-Oman Sail brings to a conclusion the prologue from Newport to New York after sixteen hours of racing.
The fleet completes the race with a parade sail up the Hudson River to their base at North Cove Marina in on the South of Manhattan, where the trimarans will be based until the start of the KRYS OCEAN RACE on Saturday 7th July.
KRYS OCEAN RACE provisional results
1) Race For Water ( Stève Ravussin) finised at 12h53’20’’ (CET)
2) Groupe Edmond de Rothschild (Sébastien Josse) finished at 12h55’50’’ (CET)
3) Spindrift racing (Yann Guichard) finished at 13h35’08’’ (CET)
4) FONCIA (Michel Desjoyeaux) finished at 13h38’44’’ (CET)
5) Musandam-Oman Sail (Sidney Gavignet) finised at 14h04’01’’ (CET)
KRYS OCEAN RACE
Last Updated ( Wednesday, 04 July 2012 )