Launch of THE Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race 2012
Tuesday, 20 November 2012
The official launch of the Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race 2012 will take place next Tuesday, 27 November 2012, at the Cruising Yacht Club of Australia, Rushcutters Bay, Sydney. The launch will mark 29 days until the Boxing Day start of one of the world’s most famous yacht races.
A fleet of 80 yachts is expected to line up for this year’s race and details will be officially announced by CYCA Commodore Howard Piggott. A panel of skippers and crew contesting the 68th Rolex Sydney Hobart will be present at the launch.
Wild Oats XI’s skipper, Mark Richards, will talk on the 100 footer’s sixth line honours attempt. A celebrity crew member on Ragamuffin-Loyal will be announced.
Ragamuffin-Loyal, under the watchful eye of sailing legend Syd Fischer, will attempt to defend her line honours title in an expected battle royale with Wild Oats XI. It is sure to be an enthralling clash.
Fischer, who at 85 is the oldest sailor in this year’s race, will be again joined by his great mate Tony Ellis. The two will notch up their 40th race together – the most number of races sailed together by a pair.
WHAT: Launch of the Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race 2012
WHEN: 9.30am arrival for 10.00am start
Tuesday 27 November, 2012
WHERE: Cruising Yacht Club of Australia
1 New Beach Road, Darling Point, Sydney
(Limited street parking only – please allow extra time to park)
WHO: - Howard Piggott, Commodore Cruising Yacht Club Australia
- Syd Fischer and Tony Ellis, skipper and long-time crew member mate, Ragamuffin-Loyal
- High profile celebrity crew member, Ragamuffin- Loyal
- Mark Richards, skipper Wild Oats XI
- Sebastien Guyot, team leader, Peugeot Surfrider, who will lead a French crew that will sail the race to raise ocean preservation awareness
- Bob Steel, owner Quest. He won the race overall in 2002 and 2008 and returns after a three year absence
VISUALS: - Skippers with yachts at marina – Quest and Peugeot Surfrider (Please note Wild Oats
XI and Ragamuffin-Loyal are NOT moored at CYCA)
- Line honours and overall winner trophies, plus a Rolex Yacht-Master timepiece
Di Pearson, Rolex Sydney Hobart Media Director
Last Updated ( Tuesday, 20 November 2012 )