Video: Volovo Ocean Race - Leg 6 - A glorious comeback for Dongfeng Race Team
- Skipper Caudrelier praises shore crew after thrilling win
- Abu Dhabi Ocean Racing within four minutes of victors
- Team Brunel completes Leg 6 podium
NEWPORT, Rhode Island, USA (May 7) – Dongfeng Race Team (Charles Caudrelier/FRA) edged overall Volvo Ocean Race leaders Abu Dhabi Ocean Racing (Ian Walker/GBR) by just three minutes and 25 seconds to win Leg 6 to Newport after an enthralling duel over the past 24 hours.
The result cuts the Emirati boat's lead over the Chinese-backed challengers to six points and marks a fantastic comeback for Caudrelier and his crew after they were forced to pull out of the previous leg to Itajaí because of a broken mast.
The French skipper paid tribute to his shore crew who managed to fit a new rig in under a week in Brazil and prepare the boat for the 5,010-nautical mile (nm), ultra-competitive next stage through the Atlantic.
Abu Dhabi Ocean Racing made Caudrelier and his men work all the way for the win after 17 days at sea and even threatened to overturn their lead as they passed Block Island 30nm from the finish.
Caudrelier's hopes of bouncing back for the triumph had looked in serious jeopardy just two days into the leg, which started on April 19, when the electronic water-maker, which converts sea water into drinking water, broke down.
Dutch challengers Team Brunel (Bouwe Bekking/NED) finished just over 55 minutes after Dongfeng to claim the final podium spot following yet another closely-fought leg.
MAPFRE (Xabi F: ernández/ESP) followed Team Brunel home in fourth spot with an elapsed time of 17 days 10 hours 34 minutes and 25 seconds with Team Alvimedica (Charlie Enright/USA) heading for a home town welcome in fifth place ahead of Team SCA (Sam Davies/GBR), who were expected to finish later on Thursday.
LEG 6 RESULTS
1. Dongfeng Race Team (CHN) - 07/05/2015 - 02h03mn UTC - 17 days 09h 03min 00s
2. Adu Dhabi Ocean Racing (UAE) - 07/05/2015 - 02h06mn25s UTC - 17 days 09h 06min 25s
3. Team Brunel (NED) - 07/05/2015 - 02h56mn40s UTC - 17days 09 h 56min 40sec
4. MAPFRE (ESP) - 07/05/2015 - 03h34mn25s UTC - 17days 10h 34min 25s
Credit: Volvo Ocean Race